MCU Shield for Mojo

Projects you are planning or working on with the Mojo

MCU Shield for Mojo

Postby ydkdy2017 » September 4th, 2017, 10:21 pm

I am looking for a Microcontroller (MCU) shield for the Mojo v3. To test the concept, I connected a Sparkfun ESP32 Thing to the Mojo + IO Shield over a UART connection to learn about the interaction of an MCU and Mojo v3. My intent is to use the Mojo for low level hardware interaction and the MCU to host a user interface, system control, and wifi.

Are there any existing plans/designs for an MCU shield? If not, are there any obvious design challenges that must be addressed?

Thanks!

Site Admin

Re: MCU Shield for Mojo

Postby embmicro » September 12th, 2017, 9:27 am

We don't have any plans for one as there are so many variations that everyone is likely to require something different. You can already program the AVR on the Mojo so you get a basic processor to play with. If you need something more powerful, using a Raspberry Pi or Beagle Bone is likely a better option than anything we'd be able to make ($/performance) due to their high production volume.

You really just need to decide a few things. First, make sure both boards communicate at 3.3V. Second, you need to consider what kind of bandwidth you need and how you want to handle transactions. If all you need is to have the MCU send data to/from the FPGA on it's on time occasionally then you could use something like UART or SPI. For higher bandwidth one-way data you could potentially hijack the camera port (make the Mojo look like a camera but send arbitrary data disguised as images).

I'm actually working on a project that requires some kind of wireless connection and will likely be going with SPI and a Raspberry Pi.

Return to “Project Ideas”